Sunday, January 18, 2009

Save the Last Dance for Me

This New Years Eve I went to the historic Plaza Hotel with two freinds for dancing and champagne. This years resolution is to dance more. And boy, did I. A man named Micheal Esquivel twirled me around the dance floor till the band packed up. He looked eerily like Jim Belushi, had played semi-pro rugby in New Zealand and had moved back to Las Vegas to be near his elderly parents.

Dancing with Mike made my New Years. It was joyous, graceful, spontaneous and altogether wonderful.

Today while I was in Boulder with Katie, I got a call from Francis, a friend from work. Mike had been killed in an accident with a train. The man who, two weeks ago, was dancing with me and ringing in the new year with balloons and champagne is just gone.

I'm so grateful to have danced with him. It was joyful and life-affirming. That will be my memory of our brief acquaintance. I hope it was a happy memory for him too.

No comments: