Tuesday, September 30, 2008

wait a minute while I find my soap-box

I love dogs. My current domestic partner is a canine. If there is such a thing as reincarnation, I'd like to come back as my dog. She has a soft bed, high quality kibble, lots of lovin', and all the rabbits she can chase. It's my job to take care of her. This means I feed her, make sure that her water dish is clean and full, and take her to the vet when she needs it. It also means I keep her away from the street. This is not only for her safety, but for the safety and security of other dogs and people.

Not everyone will agree with the dog:child analogy, but here goes. Children have the same sort of requirements. Food, safety, good health and love. Parents should also be obligated to ensure that their children (or pets) know how to behave in society. This also ensures their safety and success.

Let me now make a big ol' caveat. I love living in Las Vegas, NM. The people are freindly, I have amazing view of the mountains, my job is great. Basically, I'm a pig in poo. There is, however, a giant black mark on the town report card. Irresponsible dog owners. These are the folks who let their dogs run out into the road, terrorizing their neighbors, getting hurt. Generally not taking care of their obligations as dog owners.

It doesn't matter if you go for the "dog as surrogate child" approach or the "dog as owned object". Either way, the person who owns a dog (or has a doggie family member) is responsible for its actions just as they would be responsible for the actions of their human offspring. If around the clock care and responsibility is not your cup of tea, don't have kids and don't get that puppy. Neither one stays cute forever.

No comments: