Friday, November 7, 2008

Its 18 degrees this morning. That's pretty darn cold. I've got the woodstove cranked up but I'm not sure how fast its going to get warm in here. My house is a bit deceptive. I have giant floor to cathedral-ceiling windows with south-western exposure which are great for collecting sunshine but the house is primarily heated by a little woodstove on the first floor. So its been warm and snug when I get home from work even if it's getting dark way too early. I think I'm going to have to make a fire before bed and bank it up nicely so that I don't get frostbite in the morning. Its hard enough to get up when its dark without forcing myself from a nice warm bed into the cold air.

The weather has snuck up on us. Just four days ago, it was a balmy 40 degrees in the morning. Snow is forecast for this coming weekend. Snow. Yes, I know I've moved to a town in the foothills of the mountains. Yes, I live in the river valley. But I wasn't prepared for 18 degrees in New Mexico during the first week of November. This makes me a bit concerned about the temperatures in February, when its really winter. I'd better get some more sweaters.

No comments: